Applications are currently being accepted for the position of Auxiliary Police Officer with the Edison Police Department.
Applications may be downloaded from this website using the link below and returned by mail or in person to police headquarters.
Please read the qualifications before applying.
QUALIFICATIONS for Police Auxiliary Officer Applicants
All requirements must be met before graduation. Applicants must:
- Be citizen of the United States
- Be over 18 years of age
- Possess a high school diploma or GED
- Able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently
- Possess a clean and valid New Jersey driver's license
- Be of good moral character and has not been convicted of any criminal offense involving moral turpitude.
- Be a resident of Edison.
You may download an application here CLICK HERE
All recruits will undergo 16 weeks (4 months) of training at the Middlesex County Police Auxiliary Academy in Edison, NJ.
The academy is run once a year and begins in mid March and ends in late June.
Classes run every Tuesday and Thursday from 7pm - 10pm as well as every other Saturday from 8am-4pm. Attendance is mandatory for graduation.
The following is a list of courses that each recruit must successfully master before graduation:
- Criminal Law
- Civil Government
- Court System
- Traffic Control
- Motor vehicle law (Title 39)
- Patrol Function
- Crowd Control
- Incident Command
- Fire safety
- Narcotics / CDS
- Juvenile crimes
- Gang awareness
- Power line safety
- Arrest Search and Seizure
- Use of force
- Blood-Borne Pathogens
- First Responder Haz-Mat
- Preservation of Evidence
- Gun / Knife Safety
- Investigative report writing
- Incident Command System
- CPR / First Aid / Emergency Childbirth
- Bias crimes
- Hand cuffing
- Baton Defensive / Offensive
- Drill and Ceremony